Landlord & tenant

As a landlord, there are various regulations you will need to adhere to when letting your property, to protect your tenant’s rights.  So it’s important to get advice from a solicitor who can help you to understand your responsibilities and draw up a tenancy agreement or lease.

Typically in England and Wales the tenancy agreement, will be an ‘assured shorthold tenancy’ (AST).  An AST gives the landlord certain rights, such as the ability to terminate the agreement after six months so long as you provide two months’ notice, and the ability to charge market rent.  In Scotland most landlords use a ‘short assured tenancy’ which is very similar.  Don’t forget that your tenants will also have some rights – your solicitor can help you to understand these as well.

You will be required as a landlord will to fulfil certain responsibilities, such as protecting your tenant’s deposit in a government approved scheme, repairing any structural or exterior problems with the property, ensuring the safety of any electrical appliances that you supply, and providing an Energy Performance Certificate for the property.  In return tenants are required to keep the property in order, pay the agreed rent, and keep to any other terms and conditions agreed upon in the contract.

With so much to think about when drafting a tenancy agreement, getting the help of a solicitor will ensure both yours and your tenant’s rights are protected.  Find a local solicitor in your area here.

Questions you might like to ask a solicitor…

  • What rights do I have to enter my property?
  • How do I protect my tenant’s deposit?
  • Can tenants be asked to leave before they have lived in the property for 6 months?