Updated 08 August 2017
How do you pick the perfect adviser? You’re trusting them with your hard-earned cash, so it’s important to get it right. Rowena Griffths gives us a ten point checklist.
1. Ensure the adviser is independent and not restricted to a limited number of products. By searching for an adviser on unbiased.co.uk, you’ll find that all advisers are independent.
2. If possible, take a look at his or her testimonials.
3. Ensure the adviser has suitable qualifications. A certified or chartered financial planner has the most widely accepted ‘gold standard’ of qualifications available. If you are looking for advice in a specific area, such as mortgages, it is important to check that they have the relevant qualification.
4. Does your financial adviser listen to you and put your financial objectives first?
5. Does your financial adviser keep the lines of communication open and respond to telephone calls and emails?
6. Do they have access to specialists if required?
7. Do you understand what they will charge and what you will receive for their services?
8. Have you been offered a method of payment that suits your circumstances?
9. Are you happy with the location of the meeting?
10. Do you trust them? If after meeting a financial adviser, you feel nervous and stressed out, that is a useful indicator that you may not be suited to each other.
Search for the right adviser for your needs using the unbiased.co.uk find an adviser search tool.