Customers helped

What if I can no longer earn?

Updated 27 May 2022

1min read

Nick Green
Financial Journalist

Anyone may find themselves unable to work due to illness or injury. There are two main safeguards against this risk: income protection and/or critical illness insurance. These work in different ways, but both can help you to replace lost earnings. Some employers offer this financial protection as a benefit, but if they don’t then you can find the best private providers by talking to a financial adviser.

Income protection cover

Income protection will pay you a regular income (typically a percentage of your usual salary) if you can no longer earn. You can time it to start paying out once you stop receiving sufficient sick pay from your employer (statutory sick pay is paid for up to 28 weeks, but may not be enough for you to live on).

Find out more about income protection.

Critical illness cover

Critical illness cover will pay you a lump sum if you become ill with a medical condition listed on the policy. Not all illnesses are covered, so discuss your needs carefully with a financial adviser before selecting your policy.

Find out more about critical illness cover.

Match meI’d like to speak to a financial adviser

About the author
Nick Green is a financial journalist writing for Unbiased.co.uk, the site that has helped over 10 million people find financial, business and legal advice. Nick has been writing professionally on money and business topics for over 15 years, and has previously written for leading accountancy firms PKF and BDO.