Using our Connect tool to find your ideal adviser
First published 17 January 2017 • Updated 27 March 2017
Searching for an adviser can be daunting if you aren’t sure what to look for, or what kind of advice is available. The Unbiased Connect tool is designed to make the process quick and simple, so here’s a brief guide to using it in the most effective way.
Choosing to seek financial advice is a great positive step. But what comes next? If you’ve never seen an IFA before, then you may worry about finding one who is suitable for you. Even a personal recommendation doesn’t help very much – because an adviser who is right for your neighbour or colleague may not be the right one for you.
Unbiased offers you not one but two solutions to this puzzle. The first is to use our postcode search to view a list of suitable advisers in your area, which you can then compare with our adviser checklist to see how well they meet your needs.
The second way can be even quicker, and is particularly good if you really aren’t sure which adviser will be best for you. With the Unbiased Connect tool, you just enter some basic information and a suitable adviser calls you back within a couple of days – or even just a few hours.
Using the Connect tool
The Connect tool matches you automatically with an adviser who is ready and able to help. All you need to do is make sure that the information you provide is as clear and as detailed as possible, as this enables our advisers to decide whether or not they can assist you. Generally, detailed enquiries get quicker and more suitable adviser matches.
When you click on the Connect tool you’ll see this form. It’s simple to fill in, but here’s a walk-through guide to sending the perfect enquiry.
- For simplicity’s sake, we’ll assume you’re looking for an independent financial adviser (IFA), though you can also search for a mortgage adviser, accountant or solicitor. Go to ‘Select an adviser type’ and make your choice.
- Once you’ve chosen your adviser type, please specify whether you’d prefer your advice to be face-to-face, over the phone or online. Face-to-face is usually the best by far, as it lets you and your adviser really get to know each other.
- Now there are a few steps to let you specify exactly the kind of advice you need. Under ‘Please select an advice area’ you’ll see a list. Your enquiry should fit under at least one of these categories. If you want to see an adviser about more than one area, choose the one that would involve the largest sums of money (e.g. Pensions & retirement).
- Having selected your broad advice area, you can start to get more specific. Under ‘What areas are you looking for advice on?’ you’ll find a number of options (you can select more than one). Don’t worry if you’re not sure what they all mean, as this field is optional – but it helps to be as specific as you can.
- The asset value section is particularly helpful when it comes to being matched with the right adviser. This will be the estimated size of the asset in question – your pension if you want pension advice, or your mortgage if you’re buying a home, and so on. Many people aren’t sure how much they have in their pension, but if you can find a recent statement from your provider(s) this should give you a good idea.
- Nearly done now! It’s worth taking a couple of minutes to explain in more detail exactly why you want your adviser. Mention any relevant life goals (e.g. ‘I want to retire in 10 years’, ‘I want to help my children onto the property ladder’) and it also helps to mention your current household income and any other assets, to give your adviser the clearest possible picture of your financial situation.
All information you enter is completely confidential and is never shared with third parties under any circumstances. Your contact details will only be sent to the adviser who accepts your enquiry.
- Finally, you can choose to connect with an adviser offering a free check-up. Many advisers offer these as a way of introducing clients to advice, but if you’re just looking for full advice you can skip this step.
Once you’ve filled in as many of the fields as you can, just click ‘Connect me with an adviser’ and we’ll do the rest.
Now just wait for the call…
Your enquiry will go straight to the most suitable local advisers, and usually a match is found within 48 hours. If you’re lucky, you may even hear back within an hour or two. Occasionally it’s not possible to find a match within that time, but in most cases we will be able to find someone to help you.
When a match is found, we’ll email you immediately to let you know to expect a call from that particular adviser. When your adviser calls you, they will confirm they have been connected to you through Unbiased, to give you assurance that it’s not a cold call.
The Unbiased Connect tool makes it possible to find a suitable adviser in a very short space of time, even if you’ve never sought advice before and aren’t sure what to look for. Remember, by making your enquiry as detailed as possible, you increase your chances of
- Finding an available adviser
- A quicker response
- A better match with your adviser
Give it a try – it could be the start of a beautiful friendship.